Young Writers: Submit Your Words!
The Chippewa Valley Book Festival – always an autumn highlight chock full of awesome events for readers and writers alike – is happening this year Oct. 21-27 at venues all over the Valley. One of the fest’s many events, the Young Writers Showcase, puts the talents of local kid writers in the spotlight with a reading event on Oct. 21 at the Grand Theatre, 102 W. Grand Ave., Eau Claire. In addition to sharing their words with an audience, winners will receive gift certificates from Dotters Books. Want to read? First you gotta apply! The showcase is open to writers in grades three through eight. Here are the other criteria for submissions:
- No more than one submission in each category is accepted per author. (Please keep copies of your work, as it will not be returned to you.)
- Prose works must be no longer than 1,000 words.
- Poems must be no more than 24 lines.
- Additional pages with illustrations are welcomed, but not required.
- Name and grade must appear at the top of every page.
- Only original writing is accepted, and credit must be given for ideas inspired by other works. Credit may be as simple as a statement at the end of the page.
- All submissions must be accompanied by the official entry form (available online at www.cvbookfest.org/showcase) completed and signed by your parent or guardian.
Submit all entries to the Youth Service departments of one of the following libraries before they close on Saturday, Oct. 6 for your work to be considered: Altoona Public Library, L.E. Phillips Memorial Public Library, Chippewa Falls Public Library, Menomonie Public Library. Get those words in, and best of luck!